Northern Arizona Healthcare provides comprehensive healthcare services through two hospitals (Flagstaff Medical Center and Verde Valley Medical Center) along with numerous primary care and specialty physician clinics, outpatient surgical centers, cardiovascular and cancer centers, rehabilitation and sports medicine centers, air and land-based medical services transportation, and community health-based programs. With a service region of more than 50,000 square miles, NAH’s team of 3,500 medical professionals serves a population of more than 700,000 people, including a significant community of Native Americans, who comprise approximately one-third of NAH’s patient visits.
The Director/Senior Major Gifts Officer is responsible for building relationships and raising funds from current and prospective donors by encouraging their interests and passions for improved health outcomes in Northern Arizona.
* Assist Vice President of Philanthropy and Office of Philanthropy team to develop and implement programs to support Initiatives.
* Represent the Office of Philanthropy in meetings, conferences, organization orientations and events where necessary.
* Uphold established Office of Philanthropy protocols related to donor records, including documenting interactions with donors and other organizations.
* Initiate, cultivate and develop relationships with a focus in the Sedona and Verde Valley area.
* Work with donor relations specialist to create in-depth profiles on individual major and principal gift prospects regarding potential for philanthropic support, areas of interest and other organization affiliations.
* Cultivate and manage active major gift level donors - some existing donors and others with identified potential - with the goal of increasing financial support through regular communications (phone calls, emails, in-person visits, and written correspondence).
* Manages a portfolio of 75+ major and principal gift prospects and leads the strategy to identify, cultivate and solicit individuals in support of the Office of Philanthropy fundraising goals.
* Develops and implements personalized donor stewardship plans.
* works to engage department heads and administration in the fundraising enterprise.
* Sets and targets fundraising goals, prepares proposals, and makes direct face-to-face solicitations.
* Meet or exceed the expected level of donor activity each week and month, i.e. number of calls, asks, personal correspondence, etc.
* Achieve personal annual revenue goals beginning at $250,000, with expectations of growing the dollars raised to $3,000,000+ annually.
* Maintains and manages accurate and current donor and outreach database, using Raiser's Edge NXT.
* Responsible for reporting any safety related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
* Stays current and complies with state and federal regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employees area of responsibility.
* If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
* Completes all company mandatory modules and required job specific training in the specified time frame.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* A sound working knowledge of fundraising principles.
* Proven experience in fundraising, strategic planning and execution of campaigns.
* Proven ability to work with donors and as part of a development team.
* Ability to comprehend and effectively communicate NAH's mission to organizations.
* Proven ability to work independently and take initiative in effectively communicating NAH's projects and goals.
* Commitment to professional ethics in working with highly confidential, sensitive information.
*Thorough understanding of HIPAA regulations to maintain the security of electronic or other Personal Health Information that is available through the prospecting reports and other sources.
* Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and resolve problems quickly.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as superior interpersonal, organizational and motivational skills.
* Familiarity with donor/customer database management and online fundraising tools.
* Strong technical skills and proficiency with Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
* Ability to be an effective team member, motivator and team leader.
* Moderate travel for meetings, donor visits and events.
Bachelor’s degree - Required
Master's degree - Preferred
8+ years experience in individual donor development and solicitation, including 2 years leading initiatives or as a Major Gift Officer - Required
Experience with CRM systems - Required
Healthcare fundraising experience - Preferred
Campaign experience - Preferred
Principal gift experience - Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.