The Operating Room and Sterile Processing Department Sterile Processing Technician Liaison will be the main conduit of information and will work to coordinate and have oversight of the daily activities between the Operating Room (OR) and Sterile Processing Department (SPD) to facilitate proficient case flow. This position provides support and direction for case cart assembly on a daily basis and procures instruments from the OR Sterile Instrument Room. This role monitors inventory and replacement of all surgical instrumentation in the surgical services department. This position is responsible to form all duties of a sterile processing technician, including taking on the responsibilities of a surgical specialty, including maintenance of inventory, instruments, and education in coordination with the Surgical Specialty Lead, and solves complicated problems between Sterile Processing and the Operating Room.
* Responsible for ensuring completion of case carts according to preference cards. Recognizes and interprets preference cards for obtaining instruments.
* Communicates clearly with the operating room staff and sterile processing staff members to coordinator instrumentation throughout the day for scheduled and non-scheduled cases.
* Reviews daily schedule with Charge Nurse, Specialty leaders and the supervisor or lead of sterile processing, identifying possible turnover delays or scheduling issues.
* Acts as a resource for the SPD and Surgical Services departments for the acquisition of necessary instrumentation for scheduled and non-scheduled cases.
* Responsible for a surgical specialty, including maintaining inventory, instrumentation, and education in conjunction with the Surgical Specialty Lead.
* Is the department liaison in problem-solving between Sterile Processing and the Operating Room.
* Provide support services for Lead Sterile Processing Techs, including prioritization, organization, and communication.
* Plays an active part in designing and enforcing policies and procedures relevant to Sterile Processing.
* Decontaminates, assembles, and packages all surgical instruments following established protocols.
* Inspects instrumentation for functionality and damage, and prepares order requests for instruments that need repair or replacement.
* Identifies instruments for various surgical specialties and follows manufacturers IFUs for proper processing.
* Operates autoclaves.
* Maintains biological and chemical wash solutions to ensure quality and consistency for decontamination of instruments and medical equipment, while maintaining a clean environment.
* Maintains appropriate logs and records relative to the sterilization process, including sterilizer load records and biological monitoring records.
* Responds to problem calls from Operating Rooms and performs preliminary investigations.
* Restocks, labels, and maintains inventory, submits requisitions, collects and distributes instruments, trays, urology cart, and facility medical equipment.
* Determines priority level of instrumentation and equipment requests, may include preparing and delivering case carts with extreme accuracy.
* Responsible for reporting any safety related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
* Assists with maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality improvement, safety, and environmental and infection control standards.
* Follows guidelines for safety with regards to contact precautions and all policies/procedures dealing with blood borne pathogens.
* Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost effective manner.
* If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
* Completes all company mandatory modules and required job specific training in the specified time frame.
* Safety: Responsible for reporting any work-related injury or exposure incident by the end of the shift on the day of occurrence using the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety related training; performs work in a safe manner, including proper hand hygiene and the appropriate donning/doffing of personal protective attire; ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and reports safety concerns to manager.
High School Diploma or GED- Required
Graduation from an accredited Sterile Processing program or other higher education- Preferred
Certificates and Licensure
CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician) or CSPDT (Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician - Required
Certification as an Instrument Specialist- Preferred
Employee will obtain and maintain appropriate clinical competencies for the roles assigned by their departmental leader.
Minimum 1.5 years experience as a Sterile Processing Tech or Surgical Tech- Required; more than two years experience as a Sterile Processing Tech or Surgical Tech - Preferred
Ability to work in a busy, stressful environment with strong emotional intelligence and interpersonal and teamwork skills - Preferred
Demonstrates sound judgment, patience, creativity, problem analysis, decision-making skills and maintains a professional demeanor at all times - Preferred
Detail-oriented, organized and ability to prioritize - Preferred
Exercises tact, diplomacy, sensitivity and confidentiality - Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.
Software Powered by iCIMS