The Histology Technician 2 performs a wide range of routine and complex procedures in a timely and accurate manner. Uses various chemicals and equipment for processing, embedding, microtomy, immunohistochemistry, and special stains. Routine and complex testing is performed according to laboratory standards operating procedures to insure that the pathologist has adequate tissue slides for diagnosis. Collects, accessions and assists in the processing of human tissues.
* Assists pathologist during examination and frozen sections.
* Cuts tissue sections to appropriate thickness meeting pathologist time frames.
* Ability to coverslips slides.
* Ability to stain slides with routine stains.
* Prepares and stains cytology specimens for examination.
* Ability to perform immunochemistry stains.
* Prepares and maintains paraffin, reagents and other solutions according to standard formulas.
* Prepares specimens to send out to other laboratories or references.
* Operates/maintains tissue processor.
* Changes solutions in tissue processors using proper safety equipment and stainers.
* Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment.
* Logs in specimens, matching paperwork and specimens with care to avoid errors.
* Accessions specimen information into histology computer.
* Prints cassettes and prepares specimens for pathologist examination.
* Completes required procedures for regulatory agencies when needed.
* Assists in teaching other staff requirements for areas of responsibility.
* Responsible for reporting any safety-related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety-related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
* Stays current and complies with state and federal regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employee's area of responsibility.
* If required for the position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
* Completes all company mandatory modules and required job-specific training in the specified time frame.
High School Diploma or GED- Required
Associate's Degree in related field- Preferred
Certification and Licensure:
HT or HTL (ASCP)- Required
2 years of experience- Required
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.